Wichita boy burned in game with gasoline, matches
Published on -7/5/2013, 10:56 AM
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- A Wichita boy was spending the Fourth of July recovering from burns caused not by fireworks but a game involving matches.
Authorities say the 8-year-old boy initially told officers Wednesday night he was burned when stray fireworks hit a can containing a flammable liquid. When no fireworks could be found, police say, the boy admitted he was lying.
Relatives say the boy was lighting sticks on fire when a couple of them fell into a can of gasoline. The adults said the boy and other children were mimicking a video game that involves torches.
The boy was burned on his lower body. He was in fair condition Thursday at a hospital.