Email This Story

Subject:
Recipient's Email:
Sender's Email:
captcha 483b8ec0f352434d87733e2550365dd3
Enter text seen above:


Wichita boy burned in game with gasoline, matches

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- A Wichita boy was spending the Fourth of July recovering from burns caused not by fireworks but a game involving matches.

Authorities say the 8-year-old boy initially told officers Wednesday night he was burned when stray fireworks hit a can containing a flammable liquid. When no fireworks could be found, police say, the boy admitted he was lying.

Relatives say the boy was lighting sticks on fire when a couple of them fell into a can of gasoline. The adults said the boy and other children were mimicking a video game that involves torches.

The boy was burned on his lower body. He was in fair condition Thursday at a hospital.