Hearing for county budget will be Monday
By The Hays Daily News
The Ellis County Commission will have a public hearing for the 2014 budget at its regular 6:45 p.m. meeting Monday at the Ellis County Courthouse.
The proposed 2014 budget is $26.5 million. The 2013 estimated expenditures are $19.5 million, with the approved budget at $20.8 million.
The proposed property tax levy for 2014 is $14.5 million, an increase of $370,000 from 2013. However, because of an increase in the value of taxable property, the mill levy is set to drop from 35.55 to 33.886.
Due to the Labor Day holiday, the next regular commission meeting will be Sept. 3.
In other business:
* Public Works will have a report on the Old U.S. Highway 40 project.
* The health department will submit its monthly report.
* Commissioners will consider approval of the annual WIC contract with Osborne County.
* Commissioners will be asked to authorize approval of 718 Main as a condominium, with tax exemption for the first floor and basement, starting in June 2013.
* Commissioners will be updated on a KDOT economic development grant.
* Commissioners will be updated on the cell phone contract for the county.
* Commissioners will be updated on hiring process for a construction manager for upcoming building projects.
* Commissioners will be asked to approve renewal of the Motorola services agreement for the Public Safety Communications Center.
* The Public Building Commission will meet at 6:40 p.m. Monday at the Ellis County Courthouse. The 2014 budget will be considered by the commissioners.