Second phase of Victory Road turnaround in progress
By JUDY SHERARD
By JUDY SHERARD
Hays USD 489 Superintendent Dean Katt updated the board on what he called phase two of Victory Road.
At last week's work session, Katt told the board the Victory Road turnaround didn't have enough radius for pick-ups and SUVs.
Commercial Builders Inc. has been hired for the Victory Road fix at a cost of $8,590 for the additional concrete to make the turnaround large enough for vehicles to use. The initial cost for the turnaround, which later was deemed too small by TMP representatives, was $9,470, making the total cost of the project $18,060.
District architect Terry Ault waived the design fees for the entire project, but "we will pay for the extra work that Commercial Builders will do," Katt said.
In other business, the board:
* Approved the 2014-15 school calendar. Similar to the current calendar, it includes 170 student days and 179 teacher days. School starts with a half day Aug. 14, and the last day of school is May 19, 2015.
* Authorized board president Greg Schwartz to sign the Service Employees International Union agreement and the representation letter from the 2013-14 school audit.
* Accepted resignations from Jessica Molnar, Washington Elementary School Early Childhood Connections para; Brea Campbell, Hays High School assistant softball coach; Jennifer Brown, Hays High GPS para; and Hannah Barrett, Wilson Elementary ELL teacher.
* Approved retirement for David Pollock, Hays High teacher; Jill Pollock, Hays High/Washington nurse; and Donald Seib, Hays High head custodian.
* Approved a transfer for Steven Grant, Hays High technology assistant.
* Approved employment for Amanda Grant, O'Loughlin Elementary School computer lab aide; Gage Kerns, Hays High assistant boys' tennis coach; and Chris Michaelis, Hays High spring events manager.