Purchase photos

House fire deemed accidental

2/21/2014

Special to The Hays Daily News

A team of investigators from the Hays Police Department, Hays Fire Department and Kansas State Fire Marshal's Office completed the cause and origin investigation of a fire Wednesday afternoon at 1910 Fort in Hays.

The fire most probably originated from an unknown but accidental cause in the void space between the wood ceiling in the basement and the floor above. The fire is believed to have smoldered in the area for some time, weakening the floor joists until it burned through the floor and, with adequate air, began to spread rapidly on the first floor.

Although not a factor in this fire, HFD would like to remind everyone of the importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. For more information or for assistance in installing an alarm or changing batteries, call the HFD at (785) 628-7330.