Purchase photos

HFD responds to house fire


Special to The Hays Daily News

Special to The Hays Daily News

At 8:43 p.m. Wednesday, the city of Hays Fire Department, supported by the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS, was dispatched to a building fire at 110 W. Seventh.

On arrival, firefighters found a small kitchen fire in one apartment of a multi-family dwelling. The fire quickly was extinguished by firefighters using a foam fire extinguisher.

The most probable cause of the fire was grease in a pan on the stove that overheated. The fire extended to some near-by combustible contents, as well as cabinets above the stove. There were no injuries. The occupant promptly called 911 to report the fire, helping to minimize the damage.

Twenty two firefighters staffing five fire trucks responded. One fire truck was diverted to a second emergency call during the fire.

The last fire crews left the scene at 9:16 p.m.