Multiple fires keep rescue crews busy
SALINA (MCT) — Salina firefighters dealt with three structure fires from late Thursday night to early Friday afternoon -- but just one was fireworks- related.
The first was just after 11 p.m. Thursday at 2319 Shalimar in southeast Salina. Salina Fire Department Battalion Chief Calvin Kelsey said the fire started with some fireworks debris in the attached garage. "The family had been shooting fireworks earlier and gathered everything up and put it in a box in the garage," Kelsey said.
"Something wasn't out." A neighbor saw the fire through a garage window,and knocked on the front door to alert the family.
Kelsey said the garage was heavily damaged by fire, a vehicle parked inside was also destroyed, and the house had heavy smoke damage.
While firefighters were still at that fire, another call came in at 12:46 a.m. Friday of a fire at the Flamingo Motel at Second and Pacific.
When crews arrived, Kelsey said, "there was pretty significant fire on the back of the motel in a couple of rooms."
Around that time, Kelsey said, both of the department's off-duty shifts were called in to work, and one rural fire department came into Salina to provide service in case of other emergencies.
The motel fire was brought under control after about 40 minutes, Kelsey said.
"There was a lot of trouble with access, because of debris" both inside and outside the building.
Then shortly before 1 p.m. Friday, firefighters were called to Presbyterian Manor, 2601 E. Crawford, with smoke seen coming out of a window on the fourth floor.
Kelsey said the smoke turned out to be from an oven being turned on with some plastic still inside; firefighters used fans to ventilate out the smoke.
C 2014 MCCLATCHY-TRIBUNE