Purchase photos

Charges filed in stun gun robbery





Charges of aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary have been filed against two women in connection with an alleged robbery earlier this month.

Meanwhile, charges still are pending and should be filed early this week against a California man in connection with an unrelated robbery. Ellis County Attorney Tom Drees said he's still waiting on investigation reports.

Cheyenne R. Sheffer, 18, Hays, and Sherry Clemons, 47, Ogallah, were charged Thursday in Ellis County District Court with identical charges of aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary and felony theft, according to assistant Ellis County Attorney Crystalyn M. Oswald.

They haven't appeared in court yet for their first appearance, she said.

The charges stem from a Jan. 6 incident in which both women entered an apartment, apparently armed with stun guns, and took several items from the occupant.

Those items included a laptop, camera and a cellphone, according to Hays Police Detective Dave Bunger.

No one was injured in the incident.

Because the items haven't been recovered, Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler said his office would appreciate calls from anyone with information about the property.

In an unrelated case, Scheibler said the outcome of an armed robbery Jan. 11 could have been more severe.

In that case, a man and his 14-year-old daughter were confronted by a man wielding a knife at the Golden Ox on Vine.

The incident first started inside the station, when a clerk reportedly saw someone shoplifting and said they were going to call the police.

"Things got excited," Scheibler said.

That's when a man later identified as William A. Tyler, 39, California, confronted the man and his daughter outside and wanted the vehicle they were in.

Tyler, who reportedly had an extensive criminal history, apparently just had gotten off the Greyhound bus when it arrived in Hays.

Scheibler said the victim was doing all the right things and even offered to give up the Nissan pickup truck he was driving.

"They had their hands up," Scheibler said of the victims, and Tyler "tried to stab him anyway."

The man used his hands to shield himself from the knife and was cut on his hand.

Tyler soon took off from the scene, heading northbound on U.S. Highway 183.

While it's unclear how far north he was able to make it, Scheibler said the vehicle was spotted by Ellis County Sheriff's Deputy Wes Alstatt as Tyler headed south near Hays.

Tyler soon pulled onto Interstate 70 and headed east, pulling off at the Toulon exit approximately 5 miles east of town.

But, Scheibler said, he wasn't able to make the turn, going into the ditch instead, through a fence and into a field.

That's when he exited the vehicle and took off on foot.

Officers soon were in pursuit.

As the Hays Police officer got close, Tyler allegedly turned and charged at the officer, knocking him to the ground.

The officer suffered minor injuries during the scuffle.

But Scheibler said the incident could have been much worse, had Tyler continued to carry the knife with him as he tried to flee on foot.

A knife later was found in the vehicle, he said.