Prison, probation ordered in cases
By MIKE CORN
Several Ellis County men now are in prison following a crush of criminal cases handled through a monthly motion day in Ellis County District Court.
Rick Grecian, 39, Ellis, was sentenced Jan. 13 to 71 months in prison on three felony counts of distribution of methamphetamine and a single count of possession of methamphetamine, according to Ellis County Attorney Tom Drees. The sentences are to be served consecutively.
Also sentenced to prison:
* Donald L. Lopez Jr., 29, Hays, felony possession of marijuana, sentenced to 12 months in prison. A felony DUI conviction also was revoked, and that sentence will be served concurrently.
* Michael P. May, Hays, an underlying sentence of 15 months for felony sale of marijuana, and misdemeanor possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. Sentenced to six months in prison after previous convictions of two counts of possession of methamphetamine and one count of possession of marijuana.
Defendants placed on community corrections:
* John D. Miller, Ellis, 12 month's community corrections for possession of methamphetamine, misdemeanor theft and worthless check.
* Benjamin Alvis, 26, Hays, 12 month's community corrections for attempted residential burglary.
* Walter "Wally" F. Hays, rural Hays, 12 month's community corrections for felony theft and misdemeanor criminal trespass.
* Elizabeth Sanders, 49, Hays, 12 month's community corrections for attempted residential burglary.
* Reuben E. Zuniga, 51, Hays, 12 month's community corrections for felony interference with a law enforcement officer, and 10 months jail for felony DUI.
* Ricky Rhodd, 22, Collinsville, Okla., 12 month's community corrections for felony possession of marijuana.
* Kathryn J. Miller, 25, Hays, 18 month's community corrections for second time felony possession of marijuana.
* Sarah L. Leiker, 24, Hays, 24 month's community corrections for felony counterfeiting, to be served concurrently with sentence for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
* Brent R. Mangels, 24, Ulysses, 18 month's community corrections for aggravated escape from custody, to be served consecutive with a 10-month jail term for felony DUI.
* Chad Younger, Ellis, 36 month's community corrections for felony aggravated intimidation of a witness and criminal threat.
* Blake Hadley, 25, Hays, 24 month's community corrections for aggravated battery, and 12 month's for felony eluding. A felony possession of marijuana charge will be served concurrent with the other two charges.
Sentenced to court services probation:
* Brandon J. Pride, 22, Wichita, 12 month's probation for felony theft.
* Sam Gardner, 24, Hays, 12 month's probation for felony theft of a motor vehicle.
* Dennis Kinderknecht, 48, Hays, 12 month's probation for interference with a law enforcement officers. He was sentenced to 48 hours in jail on a separate charge of misdemeanor DUI.