5 house fires in KC area blamed on fireplaces
Published on -12/9/2013, 8:59 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Officials say at least five house fires in the Kansas City metro area over the weekend were caused by problems with fireplaces.
The Kansas City Star reports (http://bit.ly/19vDqkW ) no one was injured in any of the fires.
A fire at a Shawnee, Kan., home Sunday started in a fireplace and caused $130,000 in damage.
Kansas City, Kan., firefighters responded to two fires Saturday night that started in chimney flues or around fireplaces. On Friday night, a fire in an unattended fireplace damaged a Kansas City, Kan., home that was being remodeled.
Also Friday night, Lee's Summit, Mo., firefighters fought a house fire that started in a chimney flue.
Fire officials remind people to have their fireplaces inspected before using them and to make sure they have working smoke alarms.